Expanding Housing Choices for HUD-Assisted Families
APPENDIX A: ELIGIBLE CITIES AND APPLICANTS
FOR THE MTO DEMONSTRATION
The FY 1993 NOFA for the Moving to Opportunities for Fair Housing (MTO) demonstration was issued by the Office of Public and Indian Housing on August 16, 1993 and closed on November 15, 1993. Twenty-one cities were eligible to apply: Baltimore, Boston, Chicago, Cleveland, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Fort Worth, Houston, Kansas City, MO, Long Beach, CA, Los Angeles, Milwaukee, New York, Philadelphia, Phoenix, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose, Seattle, and Washington, DC. Sixteen applications were submitted jointly by PHAs and non-profits:
1. Baltimore/Community Assistance Network
2. Boston/Metropolitan Boston Housing Partnership.
3. Chicago/Leadership Council for Metropolitan Open Communities.
4. Cleveland/Cuyahoga Plan of Ohio.
5. Dallas/Dallas Urban League.
6. Denver/No NPO selected.
7. Detroit/Operation Get Down.
8. Fort Worth/Housing Opportunities, Inc.
9. Houston/Harris County Hospital.
10. Kansas City, MO/Greater Kansas City Housing Information Center.
11. Los Angeles/Fair Housing Congress/Beyond Shelter.
12. New York/Northern Manhattan Improvement Corp.
13. Philadelphia/Housing Association of Delaware Valley.
14. San Diego Housing Commission/Fair Housing Council of San Diego.
15. San Francisco/Catholic Charities, Project Homeward Bound.
16. Washington, D.C./Apartment Improvement Program/Housing Counseling Services.
REFERENCE DATA ON MTO DEMONSTRATION SITES
|Baltimore||Boston||Chicago||Los Angeles||New York|
|Housing Authority||Housing Authority of Baltimore City||Boston HousingAuthority||Chicago Housing Authority||Housing Authority of the City of Los Angeles||New York City Housing Authority|
|Non-Profit||Community Assistance Network||Metropolitan Boston Housing Partnership||Leadership Council for Metropolit.Open Com.||Fair Housing Congress and Beyond Shelter||Northern Manhattan Improvement Corporation|
|MTO Target Area|
|# Census Tracts||5||7||4||9||12|
|Avg. Poverty Rate||67%||49%||67%||54%||47%|
|Progress to Date (2/28/96)|
|# MTO Lease-Ups
(% of Target Number)
|# Comparison Lease-Ups
(% of Target Number)
|MTO Success Rate||60%||55%||N/A||51%||25%|
|Comparison Success Rate||71%||73%||N/A||62%||16%|
|Per Family Served||$1,665||$1,569||N/A||$1,308||$ 590|
|Per Family Placed||$2,844||$2816||N/A||$2,111||$2,501|
APPENDIX C: MTO SMALL RESEARCH GRANTS